Dive into the heart of Middle Eastern cuisine with a dish that brightens any meal with its colors and spices: Shakshuka. Perfect for a hearty breakfast, a nourishing brunch, or even as a comforting dinner, Shakshuka brings a piece of North African tradition to your table. This one-pan wonder is not only easy to make but also aligns perfectly with a ketogenic lifestyle, offering a savory blend of eggs poached in a spicy tomato and vegetable sauce. Its rich history and versatile nature make it a fascinating subject for culinary exploration, while its low carb content makes it a keto favorite. Let’s embark on a flavorful journey with this Shakshuka recipe, where tradition meets dietary mindfulness.
Shakshuka: A Keto Delight from the Middle East
Transform your kitchen into a Middle Eastern haven with this simple yet exotic Shakshuka recipe.
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Red pepper, diced
- Courgette (zucchini), diced
- Garlic, minced
- Red onion, chopped
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and sauté the red onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the diced red pepper and courgette to the skillet, cooking until they start to soften.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, cumin, and paprika. Simmer the mixture until it thickens slightly.
- Make wells in the tomato mixture and crack an egg into each well.
- Cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are poached to your liking.
- Serve hot, directly from the skillet.
Breakdown of Ingredients and Average Carb Content
Understanding the carb content of Shakshuka is key for those following a ketogenic diet. Here’s a quick look at the average carb content of its main ingredients:
- Tomatoes: 4g net carbs per ½ cup (chopped)
- Eggs: Less than 1g net carb per egg
- Cumin: 1g net carbs per teaspoon
- Paprika: 1g net carbs per teaspoon
- Red Pepper: 4g net carbs per ½ cup (diced)
- Courgette: 3g net carbs per ½ cup (diced)
- Garlic: 1g net carbs per clove
- Red Onion: 2g net carbs per ¼ cup (chopped)
The total carb count will vary depending on the quantities used, but Shakshuka remains a low-carb, keto-friendly option.
A Taste of Tradition
Shakshuka is more than just a meal; it’s a cultural experience that brings the warmth of North African and Middle Eastern hospitality to your dining table. Its versatility and deliciousness prove that staying within your carb limit doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor or adventure in your cooking. Whether you’re seeking a vibrant start to your day, a comforting dinner, or a dish to impress, Shakshuka is your go-to recipe. Embrace the blend of spices, the richness of tomatoes, and the perfectly poached eggs in this dish that promises to be a staple in your keto journey.