This is a list you don’t want to miss. Many of you have asked for tips for the best way to lose weight. It took years for all of these to fall into place, but these are my habits and tidbits of what I have learned in the past few years.
It took a long time for me to realize just how much weight loss and fitness have to be part of my life long term to really see the full benefits. The beauty of this list is that you don’t have to commit to everything at once. In fact, cutting out too many bad foods and changing so many things at once will likely be too difficult to sustain. Our bodies become addicted to certain foods, such as sugar and you will go through a withdrawal when you begin to cut your favorites out.
The good news is…
All of these tips create a domino effect as you implement more and more of them into your daily life. One thing will lead to another. You will be so proud that you have worked out for 2 weeks, you will begin to naturally turn away from the junk food that destroys those efforts.
I am so excited for you to start your journey of weight loss and fitness! I can’t wait to hear the stories of how much better you feel after a few weeks of better habits.
37 Tips for the Best Way to Lose Weight for Women Over 40
- Find a good meal replacement and drink it 1-2 times daily.
- No amount of exercise can overcome poor nutrition.
- If you don’t eat well enough, you will feel worse after your workouts.
- Protein is your best friend. Make sure to have enough daily.
- Move, move, move. Find several activities/exercises you like enough to do often.
- Get a fitness band to monitor your activity.
- Educate yourself about weight loss and fitness.
- Stay away from refined sugar items.
- Eat every 2-3 hours.
- Really push yourself as hard as you can during your workouts.
- Don’t give up because you can’t finish a workout. It will be difficult but will get easier with more workouts. Read How to Start Exercising.
- Don’t be afraid to take supplements/vitamins for recovery, your muscles will thank you.
- Take pictures and measurements to judge your success.
- Beware of the scales, muscle mass weighs more than fat.
- Lift weights 2-3 times weekly, you won’t turn into the hulk.
- Find a workout routine that works and stick with it.
- Eat smaller portions.
- Add a dark green salad to your dinner every night.
- Ignore your inner lazy, negative voice.
- Make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Drink water not empty calories of anything else.
- Drink enough water every day; always have a bottle of water with you. Do this 30 day Water Challenge.
- Learn about macros and keep track of your daily intake. Grab this free booklet!
- Don’t get stuck on one type of exercise, keep your muscles guessing by switching programs every few weeks.
- Make sure to include HIIT workouts several times a week.
- If possible, put your workout clothes on first thing in the morning.
- You don’t have to be a member of a gym to workout. Plenty of home workouts here!
- Keep a couple of healthy snacks in your purse for emergencies.
- Avoid sitting for more than 2 hours without short walk breaks.
- Stand to work at your desk, if possible. Or at least take walking breaks every hour.
- Don’t think of food as entertainment, it’s fuel for your body.
- Plan your meals as much as possible to avoid rushed bad decisions.
- Do most of your grocery shopping in the perimeter of the store.
- Share your goals with those around you.
- Don’t underestimate the power of yoga once a week.
- Beware of lose weight quick diets. This will take work and consistency. It’s a lifestyle change.
- Don’t try to make all of these changes in one day, or one week.
Implementing these tips for the best way to lose weight will turn back the aging clock so that you will feel years younger, you will have more stamina and strength to be able to return to an active, engaging, healthy life.
37 changes to your lifestyle could definitely feel daunting, which is why I recommend NOT trying to implement them all at once.
Start where you can. Choose a few of the easier habits to incorporate into your life, and after a few days or a couple of weeks, add a few more.
If I had to choose 5 of the most important, or most beneficial habits to break out of a weight loss plateau, these are what I would recommend:
Top 5 Habits to Break out of a Weight Loss Plateau
Again, if all 5 of these seem daunting, choose 2 or 3, then add a couple of more when you are ready. Just don’t wait too long, after all you have a goal to meet!
- Start walking daily – ideally 30-60 min – this Walking Challenge builds up nicely
- Implement a few days of weight training – can be bodyweight, free weights or any type of resistance. Start with short workouts – 15 min if needed.
- Track your macros. Join my team here and I can give you individual help in reaching your goals.
- Get enough sleep. Typically this is about 8 hours a night.
- Drink 100 oz of water a day. Start this 30 day water challenge.
I hope this helps you get a start on your health journey, or gets you past a weight loss plateau. Drop a note below in the comments to let me know which tip you will be starting next!