Whether it’s for an elegant dinner party or a weeknight dinner, Oven Roasted Asparagus is an easy and delicious side dish that pairs well with all your favorite main courses.
There are lots of ways to enjoy asparagus. Raw asparagus is delicious in salad recipes with a tangy vinaigrette. Grilled asparagus is the perfect side dish to serve with a tender and juicy steak.
Roasting asparagus brings out its best flavor and is one of my absolute favorite ways to cook it. The tips get perfectly crispy, and the spears become nice and tender. It’s one of the easiest vegetables you can make and it’s SO tasty!
If you are looking for an excellent main dish to pair with this asparagus, I recently made it with Pan Seared Grouper and Garlic Mashed Potatoes. It truly tasted like a 5-star meal!
Another favorite pairing with this oven asparagus is salmon! Salmon and asparagus compliment each other well, especially in this Orange Glazed Salmon and Lemon and Dill Salmon recipes.
Not only is asparagus delicious, but it’s also a super healthy side dish. This bright green vegetable is loaded with nutrients. According to this article on Healthline.com, “Asparagus is a low-calorie vegetable that is an excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals, especially folate and vitamins A, C and K. Asparagus is also a good source of antioxidants, including vitamins C and E, flavonoids and polyphenols.”
Bottom line: If you’re looking for a tasty way to add more nutrients into your diet, this simple recipe for roasted asparagus is the right place to start.
What You Need for Easy Roasted Asparagus:
1 lbs. fresh asparagus, trimmed
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
Easiest Way to Oven Roast Asparagus:
Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 425°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat.
Spread the trimmed asparagus onto the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and gently toss to combine. When asparagus is evenly coated, spread into a single layer without overcrowding.
Place sheet pan into the preheated oven and roast for 8-10 minutes, or until crisp tender. Turn the asparagus once while roasting. (Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus and desired consistency. Check after 6 minutes and adjust cook time accordingly.)
Remove from oven and serve immediately!
Tips for Properly Trimming Asparagus:
The size of the asparagus will depend on the best way to trim it.
Thin Spears: Thin asparagus spears are great for a quick sauté or for grilling with little prep work. Most of the time, you can take a sharp knife and cut off about an inch of the bottom of the stalk and that will be all the trimming they need.
Thick Spears: Start by holding the asparagus with one hand at the base and the other hand in the middle of the stem. Bend it until the stalk snaps. The spot where it snaps will be where the tender portion of the asparagus begins. You can then use that one as a guide of where to cut the others. If there are still some tough spots, take a vegetable peeler and shave off that area.
Tips for Buying the Best Asparagus
- Asparagus comes in bundles at the grocery store or farmer’s market. When buying asparagus look for bundles that have tips that are firm and tightly closed. As asparagus ages, the tips begin to soften and get mushy.
- Asparagus doesn’t take long to go bad so give it a smell. Asparagus that’s on the way out will smell slightly sour and unpleasant.
- Pick up the bundle and feel it. It shouldn’t be limp or droopy. The fresher the asparagus the stiffer the stalks will be.
- Before cooking, be sure to submerge them in cold water to remove any dirt and grit that remains after harvesting. Dry them well with paper towels before roasting.
14-Day Healthy Eating Meal Plans: 1500 Calories
Take the guess work out of healthy eating. No more searching for healthy recipes. 78 pages of recipes with calories, macros, and shopping lists — all included!
Why is My Roasted Asparagus Mushy?
The primary reason for mushy asparagus is over cooking. When oven roasting asparagus, you’ll want to cook it just until it is fork-tender, and the tips are nice and crispy.
Different Ways to Add Flavor to Oven Baked Asparagus
The best things about of this great side dish is you can add any number of simple ingredients and it gives even more incredible flavor to asparagus:
- Red Pepper Flakes: Before placing the asparagus in the oven, sprinkle with a few red pepper flakes. Easy does it though; a little goes a long way.
- Italian style: After drizzling with olive oil, add couple tablespoons of dried Italian herbs and a little garlic powder. Then top with a generous amount of grated parmesan cheese.
- Lemon butter: Once you have removed the asparagus from the oven, drizzle them with melted butter that you have mixed with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice about a little lemon zest.
- Lemon Asparagus Quinoa – Adding this roasted asparagus to this dish will deepen the flavors and provide some extra healthy complex carbs to your meal.
Want More Healthy Vegetable Recipes?
- Crispy Kale Chips
- Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- Easy Avocado Boats
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Vegetarian Spicy Black Bean Wraps
Oven Roasted Asparagus
- baking sheet
- 1 lb Fresh Asparagus trimmed
- 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 425°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat.
- Spread the trimmed asparagus onto the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and gently toss to combine. When asparagus is evenly coated, spread into a single layer without overcrowding.
- Place sheet pan into the preheated oven and roast for 8-10 minutes, or until crisp tender. Turn the asparagus once while roasting. (Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus and desired consistency. Check after 6 minutes and adjust cook time accordingly.)
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.