This Creamy Avocado Sauce is made with cool Greek yogurt, avocado, cilantro and fresh lime juice-the perfect topping for my vegetarian black bean wraps, shrimp and my favorite, these blackened fish tacos.
This low carb creamy sauce with cilantro comes together in under 10 minutes and is loaded with the most incredible flavor. Once you try it, you’ll never want store-bought avocado sauce again.
Ingredients in this Vegan Avocado Cream Sauce:
- 1 c. plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced|
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- ½ t. chili powder
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
How to Make this Avocado Sauce Recipe:
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. (*Add additional lime juice, if necessary, to reach desired consistency). Taste and adjust seasonings, to taste.
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. Enjoy!
Tips for Buying and Storing Avocados
The main ingredient in this recipe is fresh avocado. I make a lot of avocado recipes because they have so many health benefits. On top of being a great source of healthy fats, avocados are high in several vitamins and minerals, including potassium. Did you know that avocados have more potassium than bananas?
To ensure you have the perfect avocados for your next recipe, here are a couple of tips to keep in mind:
Picking the right one: You’ll want to look for ripe avocados that have uniform texture all over. If there’re soft spots, that means they’re bruised. You can also tell the ripeness of avocado by pulling the little stem at the top. If it’s brown underneath, the avocado is overripe. If it’s a dark green underneath, it is most likely the perfect avocado to use right away. A lighter shade of green means the avocado is underripe.
Speed up ripening: If you end up with an avocado that is really firm to the touch and you’ll need it the next day, just put the avocado in a brown paper bag and place it in the pantry over night.
Stop it from going brown: Once you slice the fruit open, exposure to oxygen will cause the avocado to start turning brown. To slow down this process. spritz the slice fruit with a little fresh lime or lemon juice.
What Can I use Instead of Greek Yogurt?
You can use sour cream instead of the yogurt. Keep in mind that using sour cream will still give it a creamy texture but the flavor will be different. Sour cream is a tarter flavor than yogurt.
What to Serve with Fresh Avocado Sauce?
The southwestern flavors in this sauce pair so well with Mexican food. One of my favorite ways to serve guacamole sauce is with grilled chicken tacos. It’s great drizzled over rice bowls and these burrito bowls perfect for meal prepping too.
If you want to wake up the flavor of the same ole chicken salad recipe, use some of this in place of the mayo.
There are so many delicious ways to serve this sauce. When I want a quick and healthy snack, another favorite way to use this recipe is as a dipping sauce for fresh veggies. When I am cheating a little on my diet, I will serve this creamy avocado dip with tortilla chips.
Variations for Making the Best Avocado Sauce
This sauce recipe uses just a few basic ingredients and is super easy to customize or change up to give it a whole new twist. Here are some ideas you may want to try next time:
- Add some heat: If you like extra spice, add a few red pepper flakes or a little cayenne pepper. Be careful though, a little goes a long way.
- Chunky sauce: This recipe for avocado sauce is made in the food processor and is blended until it has a smooth texture. If you want your sauce to be chunkier, just cut the avocado into big chunks (about the size of a quarter) and mix the rest of the ingredients my hand. As you mix the avocado will break down a little.
- Creamy Avocado Dressing– Turn this recipe into a creamy dressing by adding a little heavy cream to the sauce to loosen it up. It will be a tasty and healthy dressing for your favorite salad recipe.
- Not a cilantro fan: Cilantro is a love it or hate it kind of herb. If you aren’t a big fan but will want to add the fresh taste of herbs, try using fresh basil instead.
Creamy Avocado Sauce
- Food processor
- 1 cup Greek yogurt whole milk, full fat
- 1 med avocado peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely minced
- 1 t ground cumin
- ½ t smoked paprika
- ½ t chili powder
- 2 T cilantro finely chopped
- 3 T fresh lime juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. (*Add additional lime juice, if necessary, to reach desired consistency). Taste and adjust seasonings, to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days.