Seriously, the best classic meatloaf recipe. A few key ingredients that adds an original deep, delicious taste that your family will love. Meatloaf with mashed potatoes is such a warm comfort food perfect for Fall days, much like this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup that my family can’t get enough of.
Even better than the taste is that you won’t walk away from the table feeling guilty for eating it.
Is meatloaf healthy?
Yes, meatloaf can definitely be healthy. Just because I track my macros doesn’t mean I can’t have comfort food. Am I right, or am I right? It’s actually because I track that I CAN have some foods I would have previously considered off-limits. This meatloaf is a favorite at my house and I’m betting it will be at yours also.
How to Make a Classic Meatloaf Healthy
There was a time when I made meatloaf using a mix of sausage and beef. Now, I choose lean ground beef, lean ground turkey, or sometimes a mix of the two. By using a leaner cut of meat, the fat macros can be reduced, creating a much healthier meatloaf.
If you are wondering about choosing ground turkey vs ground beef, and which one would be more healthy, I wrote an entire post comparing them you might find interesting.
Creating the Perfect Sauce for Meatloaf
I believe it’s the sauce on top of the meatloaf that creates the best meatloaf. This mix of ketchup and Worcestershire sauce with a tad bit of brown sugar is just that…perfect. Sometimes I will make more sauce to have on the side!
Step by Step How to Make Meatloaf
First, combine all meatloaf ingredients except eggs and milk together in a bowl.
I like to leave the onion chopped a little larger than diced.
Add in the eggs and milk.
It’s best to mix with your hands to mix more efficiently so the meatloaf isn’t overmixed. When it’s overmixed, the meatloaf will be too dense after baking.
Once mixed, fill a pre-sprayed loaf pan with the mixture. Don’t press it down too tightly.
Mix the ingredients for the sauce and spread 1/2 on the meatloaf and bake for 40 min.
Continue baking until meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
The Best Classic Meatloaf Made Healthy
For the meatloaf
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 lbs Ground beef lean
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup parsley dried
For the sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, place all of the ingredients for the meatloaf.
- Mix the eggs and the milk and add to the meat mixture.
- Mix the meatloaf using your hands. You can use a spoon, but hands are best because you don’t want to over mix the meat.
- Spray a loaf pan with Pam or similar and put the meatloaf mixture in.
- Put the sauce together and spread one half on the meatloaf and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, spread the rest of sauce on the meatloaf and return to the oven for 45 minutes.
- Meatloaf is done when the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Allow the meatloaf to rest for a few minutes, slice, and serve.