Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse is an amazing dessert recipe that tastes delicious, uses simple ingredients and high protein for balanced macros. With no sugar added and all natural ingredients, it’s clean eating at its finest.
It’s so creamy and rich with just one bite, guaranteed to satisfy any sweet tooth. Use this mousse as a dip and it’s also a great way to get your kids to eat their vegetables. This is definitely the perfect dessert for a special occasion or special day!
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse
Healthy desserts are always the best because they’re made with natural ingredients, contain less sugar, fat, calories, gluten or refined grains than traditional desserts do. This healthy chocolate peanut butter mousse is one of those desserts. And it’s not only healthy, but also very tasty.
This recipe has become my new favorite thing to make for friends and family. I can make it and everyone loves it. No one even needs to know that this is a healthy dessert recipe. I let them think that this decadent dessert is a special treat.
Is Chocolate Mousse Easy to Make?
This chocolate mousse is so easy to make. It is as simple as using the electric mixer or hand mixer to combine the ingredients in two bowls and then fold together in one large bowl. The key to a creamy mousse is starting with a good heavy cream. Coconut cream could also work if you’d like to add in a taste of coconut to the chocolate.
Is Peanut Butter Good for You?
Peanuts are one of the most nutritious nuts and high in healthy fats. Peanut butter is made from peanuts and they contain the highest content of protein than any other nut or seed, it is considered a fat, not protein. Healthy fats have many benefits including helping to lower LDL cholesterol, increasing HDL cholesterol, lower blood pressure and more. Healthy fats, while they often get a bad rap, are a much needed macro to keep our body working properly.
You have to watch the amount of sugar that is in some peanut butters. That is why this recipe uses a sugar free, natural peanut butter.
Why Use Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
This mousse recipe is a chocolate peanut butter mousse. By using cocoa powder, you are getting the chocolate flavor without the added sugar. Unsweetened cocoa powder is the ground up cocoa beans so it has the chocolate flavor without all the added sugar. When you use regular chocolate, this has other ingredients in it, including sugar.
Refined sugar has many undesired effects on our body, including fat storage.
Since this recipe is sweetened with honey to avoid the refined sugar, making it healthier.
Can I Use Maple Syrup instead of Honey
This recipe uses honey as a way to sweetened the mousse. It is a more natural way to sweeten than refined white sugar. Maple syrup is another natural sweetener. You can use it to replace the honey. However, maple syrup and honey are not a one to one sweetener. You will need to adjust the amount of maple syrup you use.
Additionally, maple syrup has a different flavor than honey. The flavor will pair well with the flavors of the mousse, but it is different than the honey. This is something to take into consideration when adjusting the amount to add. The flavor of the maple syrup can overpower the other flavors.
Can I Use Other Nut Butter in this Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse
This recipe uses peanut butter. You can use other all-natural nut butters in this recipe instead if there is a peanut butter allergy or other reason that you do not want to use it. Almond butter, cashew butter and sunflower seed butter are all great options to make this a peanut nut-free healthy chocolate mousse.
How to Store
You should keep the healthy chocolate peanut butter mousse in an airtight container. If you do not make sure the mousse is protected from the air, it will dry out and get a hard crust over the top. It will also cause the mousse to spoil sooner.
If you do not use a plastic cover, be sure to place a layer of cling wrap over the top of the airtight container. This will help to ensure that the mousse stays fresh and lasts as long as possible.
Keep the mousse in the refrigerator whenever you are not serving it. This will help the mousse last the longest.
How Long Does it Last
You should keep this healthy chocolate peanut butter mousse covered in the refrigerator. It will last for about 5 days as long as it is kept away from air and other contaminants.
Can I Freeze it
Healthy chocolate peanut butter mousse does not freeze well because of the whipped cream in it. The whipping cream will become a liquid when you defrost it. It is not recommended to freeze.
How to Serve
This is a rich, chocolate dessert so serving sizes are small. This goes well with a side of fruit or berries so you can offset some of the richness with something fresh and juicy.
Drizzle it over Ice Cream
Drizzle the mousse over ice cream so you have a rich topping on your favorite flavor ice cream.
Use it as a Dip
You can serve the healthy chocolate peanut butter mousse as a dip for fruit or with other things like veggies, crackers or pretzels. You can use it to dip strawberries, bananas or other fresh fruits. It would be great as an afternoon snack or for parties and get togethers.
The best recipes are easy to make changes and variations. This recipe is one of those recipes that you can easily customize to make it just the way you like it.
Change the butter: You can easily use a different type of nut butter or seed butter. You can easily use almond butter, sunflower seed butter or any other type of butter you like to use.
Add Chocolate: You can add chocolate chips to the healthy chocolate peanut butter mousse. You can use regular chocolate chips but this adds more sugar to the recipe. You can also use sugar free chocolate chips, like Lily’s brand, to keep from adding refined sugar and carbs to this recipe.
Other Chips: You can add other flavor chips to this recipe too. This adds other flavors to this delicious mousse while keeping the base recipe the same.
Chocolate peanut butter mousse is a delicious healthy dessert that can be served at any time of the day, and it stores well in the fridge. Perfect for making ahead of the special occasion.
Using only 8 ingredients, it’s perfect for entertaining or just to enjoy with your family on a Friday night. Give this chocolate delight a try today by following these easy steps below.
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- ¼ c. honey, preferably local, divided
- 1 t. real vanilla extract, divided
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ c. natural peanut butter, room temperature
- ¼ t. salt
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 c. roasted peanuts, chopped
How to Make Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse
Combine the cream, honey, and vanilla together with a blender. Make sure to scrape the sides a few times while mixing.
In another bowl, combine the cream cheese, peanut butter, more honey, more vanilla and salt together in another bowl.
Gently fold most of the whipped cream and peanut butter mixture together. Divide the mousse into serving bowls, or keep in one large bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill.
Right before serving, melt the chocolate. Combine it with the remaining honey.
To serve, add some of the remaining whipped cream over the top of the mousse, drizzle with chocolate sauce and then add some nuts.
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup honey preferably local, divided
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract divided
- 8 ounce cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounce unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts chopped
- Combine the heavy whipping cream, one tablespoon honey, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer or immersion blender until light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl while blending to incorporate all ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine the cream cheese, peanut butter, 2 tablespoons honey, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, and salt in another large mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer or immersion blender until light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Gently fold in 2/3 of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture until completely combined. Divide the mousse between eight dessert or parfait bowls (or divide later) and set in the refrigerator to chill for approximately 10 minutes. Reserve remaining whipped cream, to serve.
- Right before serving, place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Stir and heat for another 15-30 seconds or until chocolate is completely melted. (Total cook time will vary). Remove chocolate from microwave and stir in remaining tablespoon of honey. Set aside.
- To serve, remove peanut butter mousse from the refrigerator and top each serving with a spoonful of the remaining whipped cream, a drizzle of melted chocolate, and some chopped peanuts. Enjoy!