Did you know that the keto diet has been around since the 1920’s and was widely used to treat epilepsy? Pretty cool fact, right? Aside from that, and the documented results people get from using keto for weight loss, there are also many other benefits of the keto diet.
For those who are still unclear what this diet consists of, it’s basically a low carb high fat diet to help to lose weight and stabilize blood sugar levels. The latter is important to help reduce the risk of diabetes and heart disease.
While some carbs are good and necessary, other carbs like potatoes, flour, bread, rice, etc are no no’s on the keto diet. The reason for high fat is so that the body uses fat for energy instead of glucose.
But not all people who go on the keto diet do so to lose weight. It’s easy to see why someone would choose the keto diet once you learn all the other health benefits that come with it.
What you should know about the keto diet
If you’ve been thinking about starting the keto diet you should know a few things first. Yes it does in fact help with weight loss and is certainly a healthy diet but it’s important to know that it is a very strict diet and can be hard to stick to.
Giving up sugar, for example, can be extremely difficult for people who are used to putting sugar in their coffee/tea or who like to have sweet treats (ie. cookies, cakes, candy bars, etc). You have to keep in mind that sugar is an addictive condiment and can be hard to quit cold turkey.
Another point to keep in mind is that when you do start the keto diet you will experience the keto flu. While the symptoms of these aren’t too dreadful, they are enough to make some people quit the diet altogether. It’s important to stay the course and remember why you started the diet in the first place. The flu will pass after a few days.
While the keto diet is indeed a strict diet the health benefits make up for what some people feel they are missing out on (like regular treats and foods they have been eating all their lives). Like any diet, it’s important to stick to it faithfully and follow the rules.
It’s not just for weight loss
As I mentioned earlier, yes you will lose weight on keto but for those who don’t need to lose weight but would like to consider a healthier eating plan, then keto might be right for you. I’ve heard many reports of women who suffered with migraines, went on the keto diet and had fewer migraines. Some even reported no more migraines. That’s pretty amazing!
When we change up our diets it’s because we already know that the foods we have been consuming aren’t good for us and society as a whole has become more hyper aware of their health these days. According to statista.com:
“The market size of the global fitness and health club industry has been steadily increasing in recent years, exceeding 96 billion U.S. dollars in 2019”.
In 2018 alone the global keto market was valued at 9 billion US dollars. There’s a reason why these numbers are so high. Not only are more and more people starting to take care of their health and choosing healthier food options but they are carefully doing research to determine the best diet for their lifestyle.
While the keto diet is a strict one and can be hard to stick to, you still get to eat lots of delicious foods and it’s remarkably easy to find great keto recipes on Pinterest or anywhere on the net.
Now that we know and understand a little more about keto, let’s find out some of the other amazing health benefits of it.
5 health benefits of the keto diet
- More Energy. For those of you who consume sugar or bad carbs, you will understand the term sugar crash. This is what happens when you’ve had too much sugar, feel high and energetic for a while and then crash.
With the keto diet, your body isn’t relying on that quick sugar fix as it uses your stored fat for energy thereby helping you maintain sufficient energy levels throughout the day.
- Banish Belly Fat. This is one of the benefits many women are attracted to with the keto diet. Sugar and bad carbs cause us to gain weight and for many of us, that weight sits in our belly and forms a pooch belly. A poor diet also will be the reason for muffin top too.
With the keto diet, because you aren’t consuming sugar or bad carbs, your belly shrinks! Yay!
- Clear and healthy looking skin. Who doesn’t want nice skin? Did you know that what you put in your body shows on the outside? If you don’t drink enough water (or properly hydrate) you will have dry skin. If you eat too much junk food (greasy burgers, fries, donuts, etc) you will have oily skin prone to acne.
When we put healthy carbs, proteins and fat into our vessels, not only do we lose weight and have more energy, but it shows in our skin too!
- Healthy Cholesterol levels. Some people wonder how this can be if you are eating a high fat diet. Truth of the matter is, you are eating healthy fats. Olive oils, avocados, nuts and nut butters. All these fats are excellent for helping to maintain good cholesterol levels (not to mention reduce your risk of high blood pressure and heart disease!).
Maintaining healthy cholesterol levels is more important than people realize. While your body does need cholesterol, it’s also capable of producing its own.
- Lowers Triglycerides. So many people don’t realize how important this is or even what triglycerides are! They are little fat molecules that flow in your bloodstream. When you have high triglycerides you run a higher risk of getting heart disease.
By reducing your intake of bad carbs and fats and eating only healthy ones, you lower your triglycerides thus helping your to heart stay healthy!
Ready to start the keto diet but confused about what to eat? Get my 21 Day Keto Challenge that includes EVERYTHING you need to get started…well, except the food. You’ll still need to make a trip to the grocery store, but I have your grocery list ready for you in the large packet you can download.
You’ll get a Success Manual, Recipe Book, Daily meal plan chart, tracking sheets, goal sheets, and so much more!